Q&A #13682

Manipulatives for square roots

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Paul Burgmayer (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 16, 2004 at 15:31:07
Subject: Re: Manipulatives for square roots

Suzanne, Thanks very much for the fast response. This is helpful and makes sense to me. But I am finding out that what makes sense to me doesn't necessarily make sense to students. So I would like to ask a couple of followup questions. 1) When you say draw a 4 by 6 and then say "draw a 2X2 and and 2X3, I am not sure how you are drawing them. Are these drawn "by" each other or one horizontal, one vertical (like algebra tiles in GSP)? 2) I can hear a student asking "why did you draw a 2X2? Why didn't you draw a 1X4? Not sure how to respond to that. Thanks again for your help. Paul

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®