From: Paul Burgmayer (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 16, 2004 at 15:31:07
Subject: Re: Manipulatives for square roots

Suzanne,

Thanks very much for the fast response.  This is helpful and makes sense to
me.  But I am finding out that what makes sense to me doesn't necessarily
make sense to students.  So I would like to ask a couple of followup
questions.

1) When you say draw a 4 by 6 and then say "draw a 2X2 and and 2X3, I am not
sure how you are drawing them.  Are these drawn "by" each other or one
horizontal, one vertical (like algebra tiles in GSP)?

2) I can hear a student asking "why did you draw a 2X2?  Why didn't you draw
a 1X4?  Not sure how to respond to that.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question