From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 01, 1999 at 17:28:59
Subject: Re: Incorporating writing into the math curriculum

I have my fifth graders keep a reflection journal. In it they tell me at least one thing they "learned" or were curious about at the conclusion of a lesson (sometimes in the middle of the lesson, if it is an appropriate moment). These journals take just a few minutes to write, and then I ask each group to share their ideas with one another. I wondered when I started using them if my students would fuss. Fifth graders can be whiney sometimes. Surprisingly, when I forget to ask them to take a moment to reflect, someone invariably reminds me. I look over what they have written and try to jot a note or two on each page. That does not take me long, and I get a glimpse at what they learned (which I can then compare to what I thought I was teaching them. You know, sometimes it is a real eye-opener for me!) -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/