Q&A #1530

Factoring out -1 in algebraic expressions

View entire discussion

From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 07, 1999 at 20:14:01
Subject: Re: Factoring out -1 in algebraic expressions

Marielouise had great suggestions! I always go back to basic arithmetic facts before I try to get my students to abstract to algebraic ones! Anyway, consider allowing the students to replace what I call "algebraic opposites" with -1, rather than factoring it out. If I see (2x - 1)/(1 - 2x) since BOTH signs are opposite for the denominator compared with the numerator their quotient is -1. -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®