Q&A #1533

View entire discussion

From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 10, 1999 at 20:12:18
Subject: Re: Fractions

Since you did not mention the age of your son, I am going to offer a basic step in the understanding of fractions. Use construction paper strips cut from the long side of different colors of construction paper. Make each of them 3 inches wide. For Example: 1 black strip equals 1 whole 1 red strip folded in half should be labeled 1 half on each side 1 yellow strip should be folded in fourths and labeled with 4 fourths This can continue for as many strips as you want to discuss. However, if your son is very young or confused, keep it simple until he achieves the basic. I suggest that you first compare strips to see that 1 whole is indeed the same for all the colors. Then have your son "discover" that 2 halves make 1 whole and 4 one-fourths make 2 halves and also 1 whole. Cut the strips into pieces as indicated by the folds. Play some games using the black whole strip as the game board. Cover the black one whole with fraction pieces by labeling a blank die with small sticky dots labeled 1/4 and 1/2 on the six sides. Roll the die and pick up the pieces indicated. Your son can be led to discover that sometimes a fraction is less than 1 whole, equal to 1 whole, or even greater than 1 whole. When this concept is mastered, add some more fraction strips. It is easier to continue to divide the strips before you get into thirds. For instance, from one-fourths go to one-eighths and even one- sixteenths. This is probably enough for now. Continue with the fraction strips. I like to keep for my students the fraction set folded in a zip lock baggie in their math book or notebook. They may get it out anytime they need to construct the idea of fractions. This can also be useful in adding fractions. Again, use the whole strip as a base and lay the other strips on top. Example: 1/2 + 3/4 = 1 whole plus 1/4 or 1 and 1/4. For subtraction, lay out the whole, cover it with the total, and take away the pieces. Example: 1 and 1/4 - 3/4 = 1/2. When children build concrete examples of mathematical concepts, they can visualize and understand better. It is also important to discuss what your son knows and understands about each part of the exercise. -Judy, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®