From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 16, 1999 at 15:27:33
Subject: Re: Making math fun for children

I think one thing mathematics educators can do to make mathematics
instruction "fun" for students is to make sure the students feel challenged,
but not overwhelmed, by the instruction. I try to do this by making the
topics relevant to what students face in their own lives, and by giving
students the tools they need to be problem solvers, namely, stretegies they
can try when faced with problems they are not sure how to solve. I try to
help my students recognize their ability to think as they struggle to solve
problems, since thinking is one of the best strategies they carry around with
them all the time.

Besides putting thinking and problem solving as top priorities, I use many
models and manipulatives in my fifth grade classroom to help students develop
a mental image of the number sense issues we are addressing. Since my
students choose to work with these manipulatives even when we are not "doing"
math, I conclude they enjoy them.

I hope this comments give you a starting point for making math fun for your
students.

 -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question