Q&A #1589

Math text

View entire discussion

From: Roya (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 30, 1999 at 13:20:46
Subject: Re: Math text

Here is an opinion by Nina on Saxon textbooks: "Saxon can provide a handy bank of computational problems, but it lacks applications, problem solving, rich context, and stimulation for student interaction. I do not know any teachers who would base a program on it, unless maybe they had a lot of self-paced students." Here is another opinion by Claudia: "I will tell you, off the record, that virtually every student that comes to us (I am at a HS) that has been in the Saxon series must be re-mediated. We have had students go back to their local school boards to try to get the curriculum to change from using Saxon materials. Those are the only in roads I have knowledge of. Now Frank, I know for a fact that Saxon has changed quite a bit in the recent years, and they in fact have incorporated a lot of NCTM standards in the newer version of their textbooks. To be fair to Saxon, I think you should also check their web site for up to date information. The URL is: http://www.saxonpub.com/ By the way, sorry for the late response. Let us know if this information was useful. -Roya, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®