From: Roya (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 30, 1999 at 13:20:46
Subject: Re: Math text

Here is an opinion by Nina on Saxon textbooks:

"Saxon can provide a handy bank of computational problems, but it lacks
applications, problem solving, rich context, and stimulation for student
interaction.  I do not know any teachers who would base a program on it,
unless maybe they had a lot of self-paced students."

Here is another opinion by Claudia:

"I will tell you, off the record, that virtually every student that comes to
us (I am at a HS) that has been in the Saxon series must be re-mediated.  We
have had students go back to their local school boards to try to get the
curriculum to change from using Saxon materials. Those are the only in roads
I have knowledge of.

Now Frank, I know for a fact that Saxon has changed quite a bit in the recent
years, and they in fact have incorporated a lot of NCTM standards in the
newer version of their textbooks.  To be fair to Saxon, I think you should
also check their web site for up to date information.  The URL is:

http://www.saxonpub.com/

By the way, sorry for the late response.  Let us know if this information
was useful.

 -Roya, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question