From: ---
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: May 22, 1999 at 15:40:41
Subject: Teaching basic addition and subtraction

I have a daughter who is in grade one. Her teacher approached me and said I
had to work with her on her math.  She says that even with a number line in
front of her she still has a problem answering the questions. But when she is
at home there never seems to be a problem.  In the class she is in the kids
can be very loud and she tends to get distracted by this. Then the teacher
compares her to her older sister whom she taught by saying "I thought because
they are from the same family then there shouldn't be a problem."  What is
your opinion on this and how can I help?  I have her use counters such as
beans and I get her to use her fingers as well but she gets mad and says the
teacher won't let them use their fingers.  I think this is wrong.  The
learning has to come from somewhere and I think this is how it starts.  The
teacher has said she will hold her back from being advanced to the second
grade if she doesn't learn soon.  Sorry to be so long winded but I neeed
advice but also needed to give some background.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/