Q&A #1590

Teaching basic addition and subtraction

View entire discussion

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 22, 1999 at 22:52:07
Subject: Re: Teaching basic addition and subtraction

Number lines are really not the same as manipulatives. They are pretty abstract ways to present numbers. You didn't say what it is your daughter is doing with the numbers on the number line. Personally, I agree with you that counting on fingers isn't an awful way for students to begin exploring number sense. Using manipulatives is a great aid for helping students, too. I have a friend who teaches primary children. She tells them they have their own personal set of manipulatives they carry around with them all day long -- their fingers! I am wondering if there are more areas of weakness in your daughter's "bag of tricks" for using numbers, or if this is the only one. I would suggest you make an appointment to visit with the teacher, to show her what you have been doing at home, so the two of you can decide how her performance at home ties in with what she is doing at school. -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®