From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 31, 1999 at 20:53:04
Subject: Re: Dr. Math as an educative tool in an elementary class

Roya's response suggesting that you use the Dr. Math Archives is a good one
and I thought, perhaps, you might benefit from hearing how a middle school
teacher uses the Archives!

I teach 7th grade in a schoolwide Title I middle school in Southern
California. The average reading level of my students is 4th grade. I share
this information just to give you a feeling for the skills that my students
have in relation to dealing with information presented in a textual format.

Last year I started using selected Dr. Math questions/answers to introduce a
topic or to reinforce a topic. Much to my surprise, my students would spend
time pouring over the letters. The only reason I can come up with is that
since the letters were written by students they have a natural appeal. The
Dr. Math answers are so good because they use an inquiry method of response
and it leads the student or reader through the thought processes necessary
to attack the problem.

Sometimes, I would use it at the beginning of a unit as a way to introduce
vocabulary. I always ask my students to take notes as they read the
collection that I point them to. At other times, I might start the unit with
a different activity but use the questions/answers as a reinforcement of the
concepts. And then, sometimes, I might have my students look at the
questions/answers at the beginning of the unit and then again later in the
unit because they can always learn more as they re-read them.

Some of the students get really into it and read aloud to themselves or to
their partners (When I use the lab there are 20 computers and I have 30-35
students in each class, so, some of them work with a partner.) What I did not
have were any students off task! This year I expanded my use of the
information available in the archives. I have also written a few web pages
that I use with my students.

http://mathforum.org/workshops/sum2000/link/ms.number2.html

http://mathforum.org/workshops/sum2000/link/ms.stat2.html

http://mathforum.org/workshops/sum2000/link/ms.area2.html

http://mathforum.org/workshops/sum2000/link/ms.prob2.html

http://mathforum.org/workshops/sum2000/link/ms.speed2.html

http://mathforum.org/workshops/sum2000/link/elem.fraction2.html

http://mathforum.org/workshops/sum2000/link/elem.mult2.html

I have used these "live" on the Web but also at the beginning of this year
while some wiring was being done, I used a "simulation" version of these
pages. Because the computers at the time did not have Internet access, I put
the pages on disk and my students opened them through Netscape. It worked
great!

I realize that not all teachers have the time or inclination to write web
pages like this, but you could use the same idea and just create a folder of
bookmarked question/answers and the same effect could be created.

One more idea that I can share is to have students roam through the Dr. Math
FAQs, the Classic Problems, and Selected Answers.

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.classic.problems.html

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/sets/select/

These areas are SO rich in information. I know that some of the
topics are advanced for elementary students (and middle school students,
too) but I think that there are some students who could really benefit from
these areas. If you have one Internet-accessible computer in your room you
could point students to this area of Dr. Math and ask them to find one topic
that they could then present to the class! There is just so much mathematics
in these pages - it can be stimulating.

 -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/