From: Michael Weingarden <mathteach@mikeskettle.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Oct 02, 2005 at 19:28:23
Subject: Foundations of Math

Hello,

I am a new teacher. I am teaching a class called Foundations of Math for 9th
graders who are not ready for algebra. I have a small class size of 17
students. All of my students are ELL and most are having a hard time with
even the basic concepts of math.

My big problem is that the book is terrible and there is no curriculum
outline for this class. The nice thing is that I have the freedom to do
almost anything.

I will have an entire year with these students and we are on a block
schedule so we spend 95 minutes a day together. I would love to talk to other
teachers that are in similar situations. What do you do with students for
this amount of time when there is no preset curriculum? What sequence do you
take the kids through when they aren't strong on the basics? How often do you
do formal assessments? Do you differentiate instruction or do you provide
traditional direct instruction?

Even though my students are ELL, their English is not bad. Also, they all
seem to really want to learn. When I provide them with a challenging project,
they work quietly and vigorously.

Again, it would be nice if there were other teachers in this situation. If
you are, please say hello.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®