From: Michael Weingarden <mathteach@mikeskettle.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Oct 02, 2005 at 19:28:23
Subject: Foundations of Math

Hello, I am a new teacher. I am teaching a class called Foundations of Math for 9th graders who are not ready for algebra. I have a small class size of 17 students. All of my students are ELL and most are having a hard time with even the basic concepts of math. My big problem is that the book is terrible and there is no curriculum outline for this class. The nice thing is that I have the freedom to do almost anything. I will have an entire year with these students and we are on a block schedule so we spend 95 minutes a day together. I would love to talk to other teachers that are in similar situations. What do you do with students for this amount of time when there is no preset curriculum? What sequence do you take the kids through when they aren't strong on the basics? How often do you do formal assessments? Do you differentiate instruction or do you provide traditional direct instruction? Even though my students are ELL, their English is not bad. Also, they all seem to really want to learn. When I provide them with a challenging project, they work quietly and vigorously. Again, it would be nice if there were other teachers in this situation. If you are, please say hello.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/