Q&A #1604

Maths and Skate-boarding

View entire discussion

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 29, 1999 at 11:03:50
Subject: Re: Maths and Skate-boarding

Somehow I thought there might be a lesson out on the web that addressed this question and I went searching using the Math Forum's search engine at: http://mathforum.org/grepform.html I only found, however, a related topic and it is not in great detail but alludes to the idea. At http://mathforum.org/epigone/geometry-pre-college/14/ 199310141709.NAA07855@forum.swarthmore.edu you will find this: Subject: Re: dshs-period two geom. class Author: Annie Fetter <annie@forum.swarthmore.edu> Date: Oct 14 13:18:54 1993 Phil Mallinson wrote: >There's a great classic problem about geometry and hockey, football, >soccer that was recently explored by Jon Choate in the Modeller's Corner >in CoMAP's Consortium. As you are tearing down the wing with the ball >towards the goal the angle subtended by the goal increases for a while and >then decreases. When is the angle at its maximum? I sent a response to Keith initially, but upon this disclosure (which I will have to look up!), I will share with everyone that I furthered my reputation as a geek to the kids on my field hockey team here at Swarthmore by bringing a PowerBook to practice and showing our first-time goalie a Sketchpad sketch I had drawn to show her different shooting angles and how she could cut them off effectively. -Annie So, in thinking about skate-boarding, I know there must be some great geometry problems there! If you are familiar with Geometer's Sketchpad (Key Curriculum Press) it would be a good tool to use to explore them. -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®