From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 29, 1999 at 11:03:50
Subject: Re: Maths and Skate-boarding

Somehow I thought there might be a lesson out on the web that addressed this
question and I went searching using the Math Forum's search engine at:

http://mathforum.org/grepform.html

I only found, however, a related topic and it is not in great detail but
alludes to the idea.

At
http://mathforum.org/epigone/geometry-pre-college/14/
199310141709.NAA07855@forum.swarthmore.edu

you will find this:

Subject:      Re: dshs-period two geom. class
Author:       Annie Fetter <annie@forum.swarthmore.edu>
Date:         Oct 14 13:18:54 1993

Phil Mallinson wrote:

>There's a great classic problem about geometry and hockey, football,
>soccer that was recently explored by Jon Choate in the Modeller's Corner
>in CoMAP's Consortium.  As you are tearing down the wing with the ball
>towards the goal the angle subtended by the goal increases for a while and
>then decreases. When is the angle at its maximum?

I sent a response to Keith initially, but upon this disclosure (which I
will have to look up!), I will share with everyone that I furthered my
reputation as a geek to the kids on my field hockey team here at Swarthmore
by bringing a PowerBook to practice and showing our first-time goalie a
Sketchpad sketch I had drawn to show her different shooting angles and how
she could cut them off effectively.

        -Annie

So, in thinking about skate-boarding, I know there must be some great
geometry problems there! If you are familiar with Geometer's Sketchpad (Key
Curriculum Press) it would be a good tool to use to explore them.

 -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/