From: Rick (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 15, 1999 at 03:14:19
Subject: Re: Topics in Discrete Math and Statistics

I have taught a course similar to the one you described, in both extended and
"regular" schedules. Here are a few resources I would recommend you to get
your hands on, if not for a text, at least for reference.

1. For All Practical Purposes - Text and videos
These were developed by COMAP and I think you can either order them there or
through WH Freeman. Although the videos are a bit dated (they were created
in the early to mid-80s, I think they are still worth the money. COMAP also
has a bunch of specific videos for some of the topics you describe. Check
out their website at www.comap.com for a list of "stuff".

2. Discrete Mathematics by Froelich, Crissler, and Fischer - WH Freeman

3. The Pre-Calculus text by the North Carolina School of Science and Math -
Everyday Learning

All of these have excellent application problems that encourage kids to take
a hands-on approach to learning about topics. This type of approach seems to
work real well with extended periods.

 -Rick, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question