Q&A #1607

Teaching discrete mathematics and statistics

View entire discussion

From: Rick (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 15, 1999 at 03:14:19
Subject: Re: Topics in Discrete Math and Statistics

I have taught a course similar to the one you described, in both extended and "regular" schedules. Here are a few resources I would recommend you to get your hands on, if not for a text, at least for reference. 1. For All Practical Purposes - Text and videos These were developed by COMAP and I think you can either order them there or through WH Freeman. Although the videos are a bit dated (they were created in the early to mid-80s, I think they are still worth the money. COMAP also has a bunch of specific videos for some of the topics you describe. Check out their website at www.comap.com for a list of "stuff". 2. Discrete Mathematics by Froelich, Crissler, and Fischer - WH Freeman 3. The Pre-Calculus text by the North Carolina School of Science and Math - Everyday Learning All of these have excellent application problems that encourage kids to take a hands-on approach to learning about topics. This type of approach seems to work real well with extended periods. -Rick, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®