Q&A #1621

Class Repetition

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Roya (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 01, 1999 at 23:49:55
Subject: Re: Class Repetition

What bothers me is how did your child's teacher come up with a letter grade of C in first grade? Usually letter grades do not start till second or even third grade. How can a teacher assign A, B, or C to a first grader? In first grade, evaluation is done based on improvement. The teacher looks at where the child was when she entered first grade, and where she is now, at the end of first grade. Report cards for first grade usually contains information such as S = Satisfactory, N = Needs improvement. You should start questioning the teacher's approach to your child's evaluation. Ask specific questions of your child's teacher, such as: Exactly in what concept is my child weak in? Why do you think she is weak in that concept? What evaluation methods have you used to arrive at that conclusion? How do you go about assigning a letter grade to first graders? What can I do to help my child over the summer to prepare her for next year? What manipulative do you recommend to use with my child? Do not be afraid to question the teacher. It is absolutely your right to ask, and her/his duty to provide you with satisfactory answers. I have a first grader myself, and very recently had to go through a similar experience, so I completely understand your frustration. Please let us know of the outcome. -Roya, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®