From: <bennywa@freeway.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Dec 21, 2005 at 12:04:32
Subject: grading practices/scales

There is a large discrepency in the way the entire staff at my school
handles grades, specifically averaging grades together for an overall
marking period grade.  Our discussions regarding this topic have become
quite frustrating.  Everyone has their way of doing things.  I am trying
to get some feedback from other educators on how they do things, hoping
to get some ideas to take back to a staff meeting on this subject.  Any
input you can give me would be great.

We are disputing the notion of using percents to find average scores vs.
using a 11 (or 15) point scale. Many of us strictly add total points
earned and divide by total points possible.  A couple of staff members
feel that a 25% on any assignment will negatively hurt that students
grade for the entire marking period and there will be no way they can
bring their overall average up past an E.

Any feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®