From: <bennywa@freeway.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Dec 21, 2005 at 12:04:32
Subject: grading practices/scales

There is a large discrepency in the way the entire staff at my school handles grades, specifically averaging grades together for an overall marking period grade. Our discussions regarding this topic have become quite frustrating. Everyone has their way of doing things. I am trying to get some feedback from other educators on how they do things, hoping to get some ideas to take back to a staff meeting on this subject. Any input you can give me would be great. We are disputing the notion of using percents to find average scores vs. using a 11 (or 15) point scale. Many of us strictly add total points earned and divide by total points possible. A couple of staff members feel that a 25% on any assignment will negatively hurt that students grade for the entire marking period and there will be no way they can bring their overall average up past an E. Any feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/