From: Cynthia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 27, 2005 at 06:43:31
Subject: Re: grading practices/scales

Hi,

Thanks for your question to T2T. I find it interesting that there is a lot
of interest in assessmnet. We receive lots of questions about assessing
student learning.

My personal summative assessment (grade assigned) was the following: I
always assigned a point scale for a certain activity. If it was homework,
it might be a 2. So students could earn a 0, 1, or 2, depending on the
quality of the assignment. If it were a quiz, it might be a 6. If it were a
test, it might be a 18, and if it were a major test, it might be a 40. This
was pretty arbitrary, but it was a judgement call for me about how
important assignment was. In my gradebook, I recorded the possible points
that could be earned, and then how many points students earned. Then to
find the students average, I would add all the numerators and all the
denominators, and divided. I also had students keep a running total so they
always knew what their average was at any time.

>There is a large discrepency in the way the entire staff at my school
>handles grades, specifically averaging grades together for an overall
>marking period grade.  Our discussions regarding this topic have become
>quite frustrating.  Everyone has their way of doing things.  I am trying
>to get some feedback from other educators on how they do things, hoping
>to get some ideas to take back to a staff meeting on this subject.  Any
>input you can give me would be great.
>
>We are disputing the notion of using percents to find average scores vs.
>using a 11 (or 15) point scale. Many of us strictly add total points
>earned and divide by total points possible.  A couple of staff members
>feel that a 25% on any assignment will negatively hurt that students
>grade for the entire marking period and there will be no way they can
>bring their overall average up past an E.
>
>Any feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>Thank you.

 -Cynthia, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®