From: Cynthia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 27, 2005 at 06:43:31
Subject: Re: grading practices/scales

Hi, Thanks for your question to T2T. I find it interesting that there is a lot of interest in assessmnet. We receive lots of questions about assessing student learning. My personal summative assessment (grade assigned) was the following: I always assigned a point scale for a certain activity. If it was homework, it might be a 2. So students could earn a 0, 1, or 2, depending on the quality of the assignment. If it were a quiz, it might be a 6. If it were a test, it might be a 18, and if it were a major test, it might be a 40. This was pretty arbitrary, but it was a judgement call for me about how important assignment was. In my gradebook, I recorded the possible points that could be earned, and then how many points students earned. Then to find the students average, I would add all the numerators and all the denominators, and divided. I also had students keep a running total so they always knew what their average was at any time. >There is a large discrepency in the way the entire staff at my school >handles grades, specifically averaging grades together for an overall >marking period grade. Our discussions regarding this topic have become >quite frustrating. Everyone has their way of doing things. I am trying >to get some feedback from other educators on how they do things, hoping >to get some ideas to take back to a staff meeting on this subject. Any >input you can give me would be great. > >We are disputing the notion of using percents to find average scores vs. >using a 11 (or 15) point scale. Many of us strictly add total points >earned and divide by total points possible. A couple of staff members >feel that a 25% on any assignment will negatively hurt that students >grade for the entire marking period and there will be no way they can >bring their overall average up past an E. > >Any feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated. >Thank you. -Cynthia, for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/ It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum. Please read more about this possibility: http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/