From: Cynthia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 27, 2005 at 06:59:01
Subject: Re: Applied Math

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your question to T2T.

I wonder if you are locked into teaching the applied math course rather
than a problem solving course. Look at the book called "Crossing the River
with Dogs and Other Mathematical Adventures" at
http://www.keypress.com/catalog/products/textbooks/Prod_ProbSolv.html

Would you also consider a paced algebra approach that teaches algebra in
two years rather than one. This way you can incorportate more review and
reinforcement work.

As you may be able to tell, I am not a fan of a course like this. What it
sounds like you are looking for is an arithmentic course. My theory, is put
those kids who struggle in a rich math class and give them lots of time to
develop the needed learning goals.

Good luck!

>Hi, I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of a good textbook for
>Applied Math (we are currently using those CORD books, but the reading
>level of them is a bit too high for our kids).  The other math teachers
>in my department gave me the job of finding one for next year because I'm
>the low man on the totem pole.  As for the math involved, the level has
>to be pre-Algebra.  Our Applied Math class is for those kids (usually
>freshmen) that have a lot of trouble with math.

 -Cynthia, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®