Q&A #16421

Applied Math

View entire discussion

From: Cynthia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 27, 2005 at 06:59:01
Subject: Re: Applied Math

Hi Mike, Thanks for your question to T2T. I wonder if you are locked into teaching the applied math course rather than a problem solving course. Look at the book called "Crossing the River with Dogs and Other Mathematical Adventures" at http://www.keypress.com/catalog/products/textbooks/Prod_ProbSolv.html Would you also consider a paced algebra approach that teaches algebra in two years rather than one. This way you can incorportate more review and reinforcement work. As you may be able to tell, I am not a fan of a course like this. What it sounds like you are looking for is an arithmentic course. My theory, is put those kids who struggle in a rich math class and give them lots of time to develop the needed learning goals. Good luck! >Hi, I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of a good textbook for >Applied Math (we are currently using those CORD books, but the reading >level of them is a bit too high for our kids). The other math teachers >in my department gave me the job of finding one for next year because I'm >the low man on the totem pole. As for the math involved, the level has >to be pre-Algebra. Our Applied Math class is for those kids (usually >freshmen) that have a lot of trouble with math. -Cynthia, for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/ It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum. Please read more about this possibility: http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®