From: Cynthia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 31, 2005 at 06:26:16
Subject: Re: Math as language

Thanks Randall, for raising such a great question, and Claire, for such
valuable resources.

Earlier in this month, a friend showed me Devlin's "Instincts", and I hope
to read it soon.

The math points he makes are very similar to the ones you describe about
linguistics -- that math instincts are wired into humans and in other
species, for that matter.

Now, what are the implications for teaching based upon this? That is REALLY
an interesting question. Devlin claims to deal with that, but I think he
covers it in a very cursory way in the book.

This book would be a good place for you to start on your search, I think.

If you Amazon instincts and Devlin, you can read an excerpt.

Good luck,

 -Cynthia, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question