From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 28, 2005 at 15:52:42
Subject: Re: Math

>I'm a member my school district's math textbook adoption committee. We
>have viewed Trailblazers, Growing With Math, Everyday Math, Harcourt
>Math, and Pearson Scott Foresman. I need to know about actual success,
>concerns, weaknessess, and strengths for these programs from teachers
>that have used them and not stories from the sales people.  This will be
>a 6 year committment and I want to get it right. I feel we need a well
>rounded program to prepare our students for the future. Thanks. CJ

================

Hi, CJ --

Thanks for writing to T2T. I have no experience most of the programs you
mention, but I am quite familiar with Everday Math. I have taught it at
grades 5 and 6, and I've worked with teachers in K-6 in implementing it, and
with kids needing further enrichment in 1-6. I'm a big fan of the program. It
has a large body of research behind it and has undergone considerable
revision since its early days.

I think it is a good blend of constructivist and direct approaches. It builds
strong concepts and is very language-based. Computational skills and fluency
are developed through games, which are an integral part of the program, not a
frill. It addresses rich and rigorous mathematics, which some teachers at
upper elementary levels find to be a challenge themselves.

EM requires a minimum of 60 min per day, 90 is really better. It should not
be undertaken without a major commitment to initial and ongoing inservice and
support. Its spiraling approach and pacing are very different than what most
teachers are accustomed to. It requires thoughtful planning in the
implementation phase. Because it is so different, it is very challenging to
implement K-6 in one year.

The only thing it lacks, from my personal POV, is more non-routine problem
solving and math writing. But for that -- there's The Math Forum's Problems
of the Week!! http://mathforum.org/funpow/

Let me know if you have any specific questions about EM. I'll let others
speak for the other programs. Good luck in your search.

 -Claire, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®