From: CJ <tching4kids@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Dec 28, 2005 at 21:23:22
Subject: Re: Math

Claire,
Thanks for your input on Everyday Math.  Does EM cover basic math facts in all
areas or will it need to be supplemented? Some of the schools in our district
have a high percentage of ESL student (some as high as 90%) and a large
percentage of low socio-economic students.  How do these populations handle
the program?  CJ

>================
>
>Hi, CJ --
>
>Thanks for writing to T2T. I have no experience most of the programs you
>mention, but I am quite familiar with Everday Math. I have taught it at
>grades 5 and 6, and I've worked with teachers in K-6 in implementing it, and
>with kids needing further enrichment in 1-6. I'm a big fan of the program. It
>has a large body of research behind it and has undergone considerable
>revision since its early days.
>
>I think it is a good blend of constructivist and direct approaches. It builds
>strong concepts and is very language-based. Computational skills and fluency
>are developed through games, which are an integral part of the program, not a
>frill. It addresses rich and rigorous mathematics, which some teachers at
>upper elementary levels find to be a challenge themselves.
>
>EM requires a minimum of 60 min per day, 90 is really better. It should not
>be undertaken without a major commitment to initial and ongoing inservice and
>support. Its spiraling approach and pacing are very different than what most
>teachers are accustomed to. It requires thoughtful planning in the
>implementation phase. Because it is so different, it is very challenging to
>implement K-6 in one year.
>
>The only thing it lacks, from my personal POV, is more non-routine problem
>solving and math writing. But for that -- there's The Math Forum's Problems
>of the Week!! http://mathforum.org/funpow/
>
>Let me know if you have any specific questions about EM. I'll let others
>speak for the other programs. Good luck in your search.
>
> -Claire, for the T2T service
>

>Thanks for visiting our on-line community.
>Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/
>
>It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
>Please read more about this possibility:
>http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®