From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 06, 2006 at 21:42:37
Subject: Re: Math

Hi, CJ --

EM does address basic math facts and skills. Facts are supposed to be
mastered by the end of grade 3, so you won't see the emphasis in later
grades. That's one of those tricky issues that comes up if it's implemented
through all grades at once.

My former school was a low income population. I don't have experience with
ESL kids. The program is very strong in language, so while it may appear to
be overly challenging for both these groups, I believe it's exactly what all
kids need to succeed in math. The pacing and placement may need to be
adjusted. The first year you should consider starting upper grades at a level
below their grade, if it's implemented all at once, especially children who
have special needs. The teacher support materials address ways to adapt for
different populations.

There are supplementary books for skill practice available from EM. Once
again, the games need to be incorporated to produce results.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Claire

===============

>Claire,
>Thanks for your input on Everyday Math.  Does EM cover basic math facts in
all
>areas or will it need to be supplemented? Some of the schools in our district
>have a high percentage of ESL student (some as high as 90%) and a large
>percentage of low socio-economic students.  How do these populations handle
>the program?  CJ
>>
>>================
>>
>>Hi, CJ --
>>
>>Thanks for writing to T2T. I have no experience most of the programs you
>>mention, but I am quite familiar with Everday Math. I have taught it at
>>grades 5 and 6, and I've worked with teachers in K-6 in implementing it, and
>>with kids needing further enrichment in 1-6. I'm a big fan of the program.
It
>>has a large body of research behind it and has undergone considerable
>>revision since its early days.
>>
>>I think it is a good blend of constructivist and direct approaches. It
builds
>>strong concepts and is very language-based. Computational skills and fluency
>>are developed through games, which are an integral part of the program, not
>>frill. It addresses rich and rigorous mathematics, which some teachers at
>>upper elementary levels find to be a challenge themselves.
>>
>>EM requires a minimum of 60 min per day, 90 is really better. It should not
>>be undertaken without a major commitment to initial and ongoing inservice
and
>>support. Its spiraling approach and pacing are very different than what most
>>teachers are accustomed to. It requires thoughtful planning in the
>>implementation phase. Because it is so different, it is very challenging to
>>implement K-6 in one year.
>>
>>The only thing it lacks, from my personal POV, is more non-routine problem
>>solving and math writing. But for that -- there's The Math Forum's Problems
>>of the Week!! http://mathforum.org/funpow/
>>
>>Let me know if you have any specific questions about EM. I'll let others
>>speak for the other programs. Good luck in your search.
>>
>> -Claire, for the T2T service
>>

>>Thanks for visiting our on-line community.
>>Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/
>>
>>It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
>>Please read more about this possibility:
>>http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

 -Claire, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®