Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #16434

algebra 1 and geometry

View entire discussion

From: Steve Wolfe <steve.wolfe@craven.k12.nc.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Dec 29, 2005 at 19:04:41
Subject: algebra 1 and geometry

Right now I teach algebra and geometry the "traditional way" - you know, I
stand up front and teach, let the students practice a bit, teach some more,
give problems out of the textbook, test at the end of each chapter.  We
have "Assessment Tests" every 4 weeks given by the county, so I do not have
much leeway what I can teach when.

I want to change my teaching style to one that has the students learning by
doing "real world applications" so they realize that algebra and geometry
will be useful outside of the math class, and lots of other reasons such as
learning better by doing, learning to work in groups, etc.

With this in mind, my principal has bought me 8 computers for my classroom
(I usually have 30 students in each 90 minute class - we're on the block
schedule so I will be teaching new students again in January.)

What I am wanting is to find other teachers who have gone through a similar
change, so I can learn from their experiences.  I would also like to find
good resources, both on the web and not, that I can use to develop my
lessons.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question