Q&A #16470

mad math minutes

View entire discussion

From: Dori <rector67@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jan 08, 2006 at 17:54:49
Subject: Re: mad math minutes

Gail, Thank you for responding to my question. I appreciate your comments and am still hoping to get some information on how to start the program. Thank you, Dori >>I would like to get the mad math minute program started at our school. I >>would greatly appreciate any information on how begin. Are there work >>sheets available to print? Is there a contact site? >>Thank you, >>Dori > >Dear Dori, > I do want to caution you about using "mad minutes" though. Some >students will not perform well under that sort of pressure, and may seem not >to be successful, when really all they need is a little more time. Some >valid strateiges for learning facts take a little longer to perform than >others. We do want our students to have fluency with arithmetic facts, but >having to spout them out under timed conditions gives students a view that >in mathematics the answers should be quick and easy, and that "good" >mathematicians are the ones who can answer the fastest. We know that fast >doesn't equate with best all the time. > -Gail, for the T2T service > > >Thanks for visiting our on-line community. >Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/ > >It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum. >Please read more about this possibility: >http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/. >

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®