From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 20, 2006 at 20:38:32
Subject: Re: Great Books for the Math Classroom

>I am compiling a list of great books that should be in every high school
>math classroom. Do you have any suggestions?

I taught precalculus and geometry in high school.  I had my favorites:

D'Arcy Thompson "On Growth and Form" abridged edition, Cambridge University Press.  This is an
old math text, 1917 publication date., last edition 1988.  This text looks at biology from a
mathematical standpoint.  It is almost a century since it was published but for a serious teacher and
student in upper level high school, it is a gem.

"On the Shoulders of Giants: new approaches to Numeracy"  lynn Steen, ed.  It looks at big ideas in
mathematics: pattern, dimension, quantity, uncertainity, shape, change.  It again is for a serious
teacher.

"Powers of Ten: about the relative size of things in the Universe"  Written by Philip and Phylis
Morrison it is based on the film of the same name by the Office of Charles and Ray Eames.  Where
are D'Arcy Thompson shows math in biology, this shows it in physics and the universe.

Two other texts that I liked a lot were "Symmetry" and "The Divine Proportion" published by Dover
Publications.  The latter related math to Art.  The former was a PhD thesis on symmetry in the work
of MCEscher.

Let some other people give you their favorites.  A library is a personal thing.  Perhaps some of the
textbooks of Harold Jacobs.

 -Marielouise, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum. Please read more about
this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question