From: Cynthia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Feb 09, 2006 at 14:08:24
Subject: Re: high school exams

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for writing to T2T.

I have worked in a school where seniors could qualify to be exempt from 2nd
semester exams based upon high attendance along with some minimum semester
average. It seemed to work very well as an incentive. In fact, after
students had lost their exempt status, their attendance would often go way
down, and they'd say, well, it doesn't matter now, I'm not exempt.

I would not be in favor of it for lower grades. Students need to learn to
synthesize all that they have learned in the course, and the semester exam
allows them the opportunity to do that.

.>My school is currently discussing the possibility of implementing a
>district-wide policy to allow seniors (and possibly all levels) the
>chance to be exempt from taking semester exams if they maintain a certain
>set of criteria (certain grade average, absences, etc.).  I feel very
>strongly against this, and I was hoping to collect some imformation from
>other schools around the country as to whether they offer anything like
>this or not and if so how it works.
>
>I realize that this is not specifically a math question, but I thought
>this would be a good group of people to start with!
>
>Thanks!

 -Cynthia, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®