From: robert williams
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jun 15, 1999 at 19:14:25
Subject: Hand as abacus

I saw some kids using their hand as an abacus in the television. They used
the knuckles and valleys between the knuckles on one hand and counted on them
with the fingers of the other hand. They were able to do various calculations
with great speed and accuracy and were thrilled by it. I have looked
everywhere to try and find this method. I believe it is a part of the
folklore of our nation that has almost disappeared. Have you ever heard of
learnign about mathematics this way? Do you know where I can learn this
method so that I could teach my students?

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/