From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 19, 1999 at 09:31:09
Subject: Re: Hand as abacus

One thing that is interesting about this procedure is that it seems to move past the one-to-one "counting on fingers" method, and uses a little bit of place value. I would caution anyone teaching children computations that without a good understanding of place value, even if a student can solve early computation problems, later there may be a great deal of confusion. Here are two more sites I found using metacrawler to search the web. For a diagram and explanation of the method try this address (copy and paste, not click) http://www.family.disney.go.com/Categories/Activities/Features/ family_0401_02/dony/donytv_indoor/donytv047.html For a review of a book on this topic, and a description of how the procedure works, try http://www.pahomeschoolers.com/fingerma.html -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/