Q&A #1658

Hand as abacus

View entire discussion

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 19, 1999 at 09:31:09
Subject: Re: Hand as abacus

One thing that is interesting about this procedure is that it seems to move
past the one-to-one "counting on fingers" method, and uses a little bit of
place value.  I would caution anyone teaching children computations that
without a good understanding of place value, even if a student can solve
early computation problems, later there may be a great deal of confusion.

Here are two more sites I found using metacrawler to search the web.

For a diagram and explanation of the method try this address (copy and paste,
not click)

For a review of a book on this topic, and a description of how the procedure
works, try

 -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question