From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 16, 1999 at 23:09:13
Subject: Re: Math classroom structure

I teach fifth grade, and tried something a little different this year. Let me start off by telling you that my "math time" schedule was horrendous... 25 minutes before lunch, and 30 to 45 minutes after lunch, depending on the day... I began most of the math periods this year with a short quiz of some sort, often a "pretest" over what I was introducing. Students could complete the quiz and turn it in to me. They could then do either of these: congregate in the back of the classroom to go over the answers to the previous night's homework, (if it was the type of assignment that could be shared that way), or use some of the math activities in the classroom individually or with a partner. As they shared answers, or used geoboards, calculators, tangrams or any of the other math materials in the room, I quickly checked over the pretest answers and then grouped students according to their ability to demonstrate understanding. The remaining minutes before lunch were used to go over questions they had on homework, or to share any "insights" they had about the materials they were exploring. After lunch, the ones who seemed to know what to do were assigned a corresponding enrichment activity to complete "in the back" independently, with a partner, or alone. The ones who didn't appear to understand worked with me "in the front" of the room. For the last ten minutes or so of the period I gave the ones in front time to work alone or with a partner, and went to the back to review what they had done. While not a perfect solution, it seemed to create an opportunity for those who were "ahead" to work a bit deeper, while those who were a bit confused were able to get more attention. The students complained on days when we couldn't follow this arrangement, so I assume they liked it. The groups were very fluid, with different students "qualifying" to work independently on most days. Almost 80% passed the Virginia Standards of Learning test given this month, some with advanced scores, and several who didn't pass were very close to the cut score of 70%, so I think it was pretty effective in helping them learn the objectives. -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/