Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #16688

Multiplication

View entire discussion

From: Belina Galimidi <bgali001@fiu.edu>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Feb 13, 2006 at 09:43:34
Subject: Multiplication

About 6 years ago I was flipping the channels on the T.V. remote and I
came across a program about teaching multiplication to older students.
It used a method that I was not familiar with, but sounded very
interesting.  The method used systematic steps and a 3x3 square, like a
tic tac to grid.  The steps were slightly different for odd and even
numbers, and it worked for all numbers, not just a trick for a certain
number.  I remeber one of the steps being that if the number was even
then you place a zero in the middle square, and if the number was odd you
place a 5 in the middle square.  I'm very interrested in teaching this
method to my ESE/inclusion math class.  If any one has any information of
what the method is called and where I can find more information please e-
mail me at bgali001@fiu.edu.
Thanks,
Belina

Post a public discussion message