From: Susan (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 05, 1998 at 16:55:54
Subject: Re: K-2 math lesson

Your idea of starting with a trade book is a good one. Here are two of my
favorites for that level:

Not Enough Room by Joanne Rocklin deals with two sisters who need to share
a room and divide that room in half several ways. It has some lesson ideas at
the back of the book. You could do a mini-lesson on the concept of "fair
shares."

How Big is a Foot? by Rolf Myller deals with measurement and why we have
standard units called a foot. You could have the kids measure things with
their feet, record the number of steps it takes, and discuss the differences.

Good luck!

- Susan

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question