Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #1678

Improving Math Education with TIMSS

View entire discussion

From: Yevgeniy Traube <ytraube@banet.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jun 20, 1999 at 23:06:55
Subject: Improving Math Education with TIMSS

I hope that this letter will reach chief education administrators, school
curriculum makers and the authors of the paper "Improving Mathematics
Education Using Results from NAEP and TIMSS". This letter may also be of
interest to the people who are involved in the nature and methods of
teaching mathematics in U.S. schools.

     I have read Linda Dager Wilson's and Rolf K. Blank's paper  "Improving
Mathematics Education Using Results from NAEP and TIMSS". It is very
interesting. In the paper authors discussed TIMSS result and gave a few
advises on how to improve mathematics education in the U.S. In the TIMSS
mathematics results, U.S. students ranked high in 4th grade, below average
in 8th grade, and almost last in grade 12th. Why do their results go down?
Authors gave a few answers. I don't agree with a few conclusions that they
wrote.

            1. Let me give one long cite from the paper: " In Figure 25, we
compare data on
implemented curriculum in mathematics at grade 8 in Japan and the U.S. We
show the percentage of teachers that covered each topic and the average
percentage of time per year spent on the topic. As the data show, Japanese
eighth grade teachers spend most of their time teaching a few topics:
geometry, congruence and similarity, functions, relations and patterns, and
equations and formulas. In fact, those four areas of the curriculum account
for approximately 67 percent of the time they spend teaching. In contrast,
teachers in the U.S. spread time very thin among a wide range of topics.
The majority teaches16-18 different topics, with only one topic accounting
for more than eight percent of their teaching time. That topic is
fractions, which only about a quarter of Japanese teachers teach,
accounting for only two percent of their time. These results point to why
some have accused the U.S. mathematics curriculum, especially in the middle
grades, if being " a mile wide and an inch deep". With so many different
topics taught during that year, it is unrealistic to expect that any given
topic will be treated at more then a superficial level".
         In my opinion authors don't show that they understand difference
between distribution of materials in math curriculums in Japanese schools
(and the rest of countries of the whole world) and in the U.S? Can we
believe that only about a quarter of Japanese teachers teach fractions,
accounting for only two percent of their time with this topic? Can we
believe that Japanese teachers teach deeply only four topics instead of
16-18 like the U.S. teachers? Of course, Japanese teachers, just like other
teachers in most other countries of the world, teach the same numbers of
topics during all three years in middle schools. They have the same budget
of time. They only don't study all these topics the first time in 6th
grade, then they don't repeat the same topics the second time in 7th grade,
and don't do it by the same way in 8th grade.
          Instead of it, they distribute new topics among all grades of
middle schools, unlike the U.S. teachers. Really, divide 16-18 different
topics by 3 years (6th, 7th, and 8th grades) and you will have to study
only 5-6 new topic for every year. In this case you will have enough time
to teach well any students. You won't need to study topics that you studied
in 6th grade in 7th and 8th grades and so on. To remind the students the
previously learned material, you will be only required to include this
material into some of the problems in other topics from time to time. The
Figure 25 just shows this situation. Japanese teachers spend 67 percent of
the time they spend teaching only for four new areas (which they did not
study in 6th and 7th grades) and they spend the rest time to review what
they studied in previous years. The whole world does it this way.
         I think that may be it is only the U.S. curriculums demand to
study the same topics in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades of middle schools. Ergo,
I think this is the primary reason why the TIMSS results look as they do.
The 4th grade students were taught the same way as they are taught in the
rest whole world, but students of middle schools were taught in specific
and the worst way.
         So, I think that the chief education administrators and policy
makers have to change this situation. We need new curriculums and new
textbooks with consecutive teaching of different parts of mathematics in
different grades: Arithmetic, Pre-algebra, Geometry, Probability and so on.

          2.Authors wrote that one of the reasons for the little success of
American students is poor mathematical education of teachers in middle
schools. I am not sure that this is true. The mathematics in the middle
school is not too deep to require overqualified teachers. They only have to
know school mathematics well, pedagogical methods of teaching it and have a
feeling of responsibility. They also have to like children. This is enough.

It will be interesting for me to hear an answer on this letter from chief
educational administrators, policy makers of school education and perhaps
from the authors of the paper.

Sincerely Yevgeniy Traube
                 Retired teacher

Post a public discussion message