From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 29, 1999 at 21:20:40
Subject: Re: Ideas for Math Fair

I recently attended a math night at one of our elementary schools.  Instead
of projects there were a variety of
activities set up to help students explore number sense, estimation,
calculators, patterns, etc.

As students signed in, they were able to select a coin (greatly magnified,
printed on paper, and cut out) to add to the appropriate line of the
attendance graph on the wall.

Inside the gym was a fishing game, where students pulled "fish" (numbers) out
of a pond and compared them to the number posted above the pond.

There was also a station with a calculator game, a place to create patterns
using stampers and different colors of ink pads, and a center to build a
figure by following the directions on the card (two short sides and two long
sides, no right angles, etc.).  Each area was staffed by a teacher and parent
volunteer.  Everyone seemed to be having a great time.

At my school we have a math and science family night in the Fall each year.
This introduces parents to some of the activities their children will be
involved with in the classroom.  This is especially good for the parents,
since most were taught mathematics in very traditional settings.  Our
activities include using geoboards, playing with algebra using a "balance",
building shapes with tangrams, building tall buildings with place value
blocks and determining their values, blowing bubbles and measuring
them (circumference, diameter, and time before popping), making and flying
paper airplanes, then measuring the distance flown...   loads of fun, and
informative for parents.  Hope this gives you some ideas.

-Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/