From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 01, 2006 at 15:30:15
Subject: Re: measurement math centers

>Hi!
>  I am a 1st grade teacher and I am looking for any ideas on center
>activities for a math unit on measurement. We will be covering length,
>width, and heigth. I have 20 students and my centers are roughly 30
>minutes in length. Does anyone have ideas for fun, yet educational
>centers for this math area?
>LML

======================

Hi, LML --

Thanks for writing to T2T. Have you ever used "Are you a Square?" Have
children work in pairs or small groups to measure and record each others'
height and arm span. That takes a bit of training if you're concerned with
very accurate data. You may want to enlist the help of an older student,
assistant or volunteer. Each student compares their own measurements and
decides whether they are a square, a wide rectangle, or a tall rectangle.
They can graph the data for the whole class. I like the unit best in metric
for precision purposes. I'd be interested to know your results, if you try this.

Hope this idea helps.

 -Claire, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®