From: Steve (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 08, 2006 at 07:37:40
Subject: Re: Volume problem

Hi Patricia,

I agree with Cynthia that this is a great question for discussion in the
class. I might use it to explore the difference between useful information,
necessary information, and sufficient information for a decision. These ideas
can relate to how precisely and deeply we understand the math concepts that
apply in a given situation. I agree with your responses so far. Volume is
certainly useful for thinking about how much can fit inside, and even whether
the TV can fit inside the cabinet. The question is, in what way is it useful?
How useful is it? What is the most that the volume can tell us without
knowing the other dimensions? What does it take to guarantee that the TV will
fit in? What is the minimum information that we can use to guarantee a fit?

I don't know if this approach makes sense to you or interests you, but I'd be
interested in hearing your thoughts on these questions and the answers you'd
be listening for.

-Steve, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question