From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 21, 2006 at 19:38:23
Subject: Re: New pre-algebra course without prerequisites

Hi Jackie, I would urge you to reconsider the need for a "pre-requisite" requirement for a pre-algebra course. Pre-algebra is something that students should be able to handle without a great deal of trouble, if it is taught with an eye to developing problem solving strategies and algebraic thinking. It is the teaching that needs to be considered, instead of the learning... Too often algebra is used as a barrier for students. Now that more students are taking algebra, some educators are trying to move the access barrier down to pre-algebra. I understand your concern, but please know that there will never be a good time to make such a dramatic change. There will always be someone arguing that the stage hasn't been properly set, the students aren't yet prepared, etc. I would encourage you to look at how your school system can embrace, and accept this challenge. Good luck, and please know that there are many systems out there that are doing just this thing, and would, I am sure, be willing to mentor your efforts. -Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/