From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 30, 2006 at 16:41:14
Subject: Re: Incorporating math history into my curriculum

Hi, Cindy --

Thanks for writing to T2T. Great question. There are fascinating stories and
important lessons to be learned throughout math history.

For a one-stop comprehensive source, MacTutor History of Mathematics archive
can't be beat. The basic biographies are engaging and approachable, and there
is plenty to dig into for the more curious.
http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/index.html

For a bit of fun, visit Solve This! at
http://library.thinkquest.org/TQ0312134/
It was created by three former fifth grade students of mine.

Two of my favorite print resources on women in math, both written for young
people:
* Celebrating Women in Mathematics and Science. ed. Miriam P. Cooney;
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
* Women and Numbers: Lives of Women Mathematicians plus Discovery Activities.
Teri Perl; Wide World Publishing/Tetra.

You can find lots more web resources by going to The Math Forum's Internet
Library: http://mathforum.org/library/
Click on History and Biography under Mathematics Topics.

I hope this gets you started. Please write again if you have more questions.

 -Claire, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®