Q&A #17195

Incorporating math history into my curriculum

View entire discussion

From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 30, 2006 at 16:41:14
Subject: Re: Incorporating math history into my curriculum

Hi, Cindy --

Thanks for writing to T2T. Great question. There are fascinating stories and
important lessons to be learned throughout math history.

For a one-stop comprehensive source, MacTutor History of Mathematics archive
can't be beat. The basic biographies are engaging and approachable, and there
is plenty to dig into for the more curious.

For a bit of fun, visit Solve This! at
It was created by three former fifth grade students of mine.

Two of my favorite print resources on women in math, both written for young
* Celebrating Women in Mathematics and Science. ed. Miriam P. Cooney;
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
* Women and Numbers: Lives of Women Mathematicians plus Discovery Activities.
Teri Perl; Wide World Publishing/Tetra.

You can find lots more web resources by going to The Math Forum's Internet
Library: http://mathforum.org/library/
Click on History and Biography under Mathematics Topics.

I hope this gets you started. Please write again if you have more questions.

 -Claire, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®