Q&A #17195

Incorporating math history into my curriculum

View entire discussion

From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 30, 2006 at 16:41:14
Subject: Re: Incorporating math history into my curriculum

Hi, Cindy -- Thanks for writing to T2T. Great question. There are fascinating stories and important lessons to be learned throughout math history. For a one-stop comprehensive source, MacTutor History of Mathematics archive can't be beat. The basic biographies are engaging and approachable, and there is plenty to dig into for the more curious. http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/index.html For a bit of fun, visit Solve This! at http://library.thinkquest.org/TQ0312134/ It was created by three former fifth grade students of mine. Two of my favorite print resources on women in math, both written for young people: * Celebrating Women in Mathematics and Science. ed. Miriam P. Cooney; National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. * Women and Numbers: Lives of Women Mathematicians plus Discovery Activities. Teri Perl; Wide World Publishing/Tetra. You can find lots more web resources by going to The Math Forum's Internet Library: http://mathforum.org/library/ Click on History and Biography under Mathematics Topics. I hope this gets you started. Please write again if you have more questions. -Claire, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®