Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #17227

Teaching Math as a language

View entire discussion

From: Robert Sarkozi <sarknoc@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jun 06, 2006 at 22:15:35
Subject: Teaching Math as a language

I'm in an excellerated teacher education program and will be teaching high
school math in the fall. I've maintained since my undergraduate days that
math is a language (and a foreign one to most students) that can be taught.
 I've been able to find a couple of references to math being taught as a
language, one in a college course at Montana State University complete with
a text written by the professor (Dr. Warren Esty) and the other a paper by
Michael Mansfield and Rozalyn Mansfield,PhD advocating this approach for
young children. Neither of these levels seem to fit my needs. Has anyone
ever heard of someone taking this approach in a high school setting?

Any information on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/