From: Ralph (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 11, 2006 at 09:24:24
Subject: Re: Assessment in Math Education

>Hi all..
>I would like to ask anyone here...I'm going to pursue my studies (PhD in
>Mathematics Education). Actually I'm interested in assessment/evaluation
>focusing in assessing students' understanding in certain topic. Is there
>anybody doing something similar? I hope to discuss with somebody.....

Hi Linda,

Thanks for writing to T2T.  As Cyntia mentioned, your request has been made
public, so hopefully others will contact you.

Thought I'd also mention that the National Council of Teachers of
Mathematics (NCTM) has selected Assessment as NCTM's Focus of the Year for
2006-2007, so I'd suggest keeping watch in the NCTM journals and their
website for articles of interest.  A good place to start thinking about
your topic, if you haven't already done so, would also be to check out
NCTM's currently available assessment materials:  The Classroom Assessment
for School Mathematics, K-12 Series (has handbooks and cases and discussion
questions for various grade bands), and the Mathematics Assessment Samplers
Series that gives a wide range of sample assessment items for Gr. 3-5 and 6-
8, if those happen to be of interest to you.

Good luck as you pursue your studies,

 -Ralph, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®