Q&A #1726

Math Club

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 06, 1999 at 15:55:05
Subject: Re: Math Club

I have a weekly mathematics club for fourth and fifth grade students in my school. We explore mathematics in a variety of ways. I try to select activities that will help these students experience some of the mathematical strands more concretely than they might in their regular classrooms. Some of the activities we did last year involved using tangrams and pattern blocks to explore similar figures, and creating patterns. Here are a few sources you might investigate for ideas: The Family Math Book (published by EQUALS at the Lawrence Hall of Science, University of California, Berkeley, California) http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~emjordan/famMath.html for more information on this book Investigations in Number, Data, and Space (TERC) http://www.terc.edu/ Math Trailblazers (University of Illinois at Chicago) http://www.edc.org/mcc/atc-trail.html Everyday Mathematics (University of Chicago) http://www.everydaylearning.com/index.html There is a great card game out called SET. It requires players to think about similarities and differences in order to form sets of cards. Contact: Patricia J. Fogle 31 Elm St., Elm Manor #2 Berea, Kentucky 40403 (phone 606-986-2421) I also play The Logical Journey of the Zoombini, by Broderbund. The teacher's edition has classroom activities that can be used without the computer. -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®