Q&A #1732

The best Master's program in mathematics education

View entire discussion

From: ---
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jul 06, 1999 at 19:35:56
Subject: The best Master's program in mathematics education

I am a civil engineer considering a career change. I would like to teach calculus and honors mathematics in a high school. Knowing what you know now about how the school systems work and the knowledge that you gained from your personal education, what would you do differently? What universities would you attend to be better prepared for the teaching field? How would you approach a teaching career? Do you know of any universities that have grants, stipends or other programs that can pay for my Master's in Mathematics Education degree 100%? What is the best university to attend for a teaching career in mathematics? What universities should I stay away from? Nova Southeastern University has a Graduate Teacher Education Program for people with bachelor's degrees in fields other than education. Does anyone recommend or disapprove of this university? Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated. My engineering career for the past four years has been monotonous and very boring. I resigned from my company and substituted for four months at local high school. I found it very challenging and rewarding. The students commented that I did a better job than their regular teacher and suggested that I consider teaching fulltime. There were some bad days but the good days outweigh the bad ones by far.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®