Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #17322

Whole-Brain Learning

View entire discussion

From: <cokeroot_beer@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jul 04, 2006 at 22:39:10
Subject: Whole-Brain Learning

I am Abner C. Alvarez, a tertiary instructor from one of the universities in the Philippines. Recently, we had a workshop on the whole brain teaching/learning (WBL), of which we-- college mathematics teachers are encouraged to use WBL in teaching our students. WBL had a very good impression for teachers in the areas of english, science, history, religious studies,and the like. But a great majority of the math professors find it hard to implement WBL in their respective classes for the following reasons: 1. It is time consuming. We may adopt WBL but we are afraid that we cannot cover the topics in our course outline. 2. Teachers are not ready, as well as students. Teachers were not given sample instructional materials or modules in math using WBL. 3. We find it inappropriate for higher mathematics. When we prove theorems, we might not be able to use experiential learning - one of the learning theories in WBL. It has been our observation that most of the TOP UNIVERSITIES in our country use the lecture method, cooperative learning, and integrate technology -- but these may not necessarily be WBL. Would you mind if i ask for your expertise on this matter? Maybe we can ask from you sample modules or materials using WBL for our guide. Thank you very much! (Muchas gracias!)

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/