From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 09, 2006 at 23:36:13
Subject: Re: Designing Curriculum

>I teach 7th grade math to heterogeneously grouped students.  We use CMP
>in the 7th grade and the district and I are very invested in the
>program.  We have never tracked/grouped students in the 7th grade but due
>to increasing demands I am piloting a one year math program for 25
>students who excel in math.  I do not want to completely abandon CMP
>because I feel it teaches valuable skills that these students have not
>yet mastered however they do pick up the material at a much faster pace.
>These students should place into accelerated algebra in the 8th grade and
>will not use CMP in that course so using 8th grade books is also an
>option.  I was wondering if anyone could share tips on how they
>successfully teach leveled math using the same resources as all other
>levels.  Does anyone know of any other supplementary texts or materials
>that I could also invest in?  Any ideas or insight would be appreciated.
>Thanks!

=======================

Hi, Michelle --

I'd recommend supplemtning the CMP program with some extra problem solving.
If you have your students write about their processes, as well as showing
their work, you'll learn a lot about them and where their strengths and
weaknesses lie in skills and conceptual understanding. They'll be developing
valuable communication skills as well.

There are lots of sources of problems on the Internet as well as hard copy
form. One of the best is our Problems of the Week service. It is now a
subscription service, but you can try it out with a limited trial account.
Our four PoW services are at http://mathforum.org/pow/
At the bottom of this page is a link to other problem sources.
To register for a free Trial Class Account to our PoWs go to
http://mathforum.org/products/

I hope this is helpful. Please write again if you have more questions. Good
luck!

 -Claire, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®