Q&A #17351

alternative ways to mulitply

View entire discussion

From: Cynthia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 17, 2006 at 00:37:39
Subject: Re: alternative ways to mulitply

Hi Erin,

Thanks for your question to T2T. I can't find anything about an algorithm
for multiplication called Bowtie, but we'll see if anyone else has any

>As a fifth grade teacher, I look for a variety of ways to teach
>multiplication.  I'm familiar with the standard algorithm, lattice,
>partial product and the box method.  I've heard about the "bowtie" method,
>but I can't seem to find anything about it.  Could you please explain how
>this method works?

 -Cynthia, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®