From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 09, 1999 at 12:06:18
Subject: Re: Effect of computers on student writings

I have not done a formal study but I have been working on trying to include
technology as a dominant tool in teaching the middle school. The lessons that
I have followed (although everything is not included) are on the web:

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/math.html

The lessons that I am writing for next year are also on the web although
they are not yet finished:

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/math/

I always have my students follow the format which I call "Diagram, Process, Solution."

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/diagram.html

I manage doing all of this by preparing a schedule that allows me to use a
classroom and a computer lab every week. One year, my students were in a two
hour block schedule. So, I would see my third period mathematics students on
Mondays and Thursdays for two hours. We would work one hour in the classroom
and one hour in the computer lab. Then, I would see my fourth period
mathematics students on Tuesdays and Fridays for two hours. Similarly, they
would have two hour classes with their science teacher. On Wednesdays, we
would have a minimum day schedule and I would see both classes that day.

Last year, blocking was not possible so we had class on Mondays, Wednesdays,
and Fridays in the regular classroom and on Tuesdays and Thursdays, we used
the computer classroom.

As I said, I was doing no formal study nor using any formal evaluation
tools. My personal opinion, now, is that the students are much more engaged
and the quality of written response is much higher when I use these methods.

I also wrote this up which might give you some ideas:

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/nctm/position.html

I hope some of those ideas are helpful.

 -Suzanne A., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/