From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 08, 1999 at 10:29:00
Subject: Re: Purpose of studying algebra

The best thing to do would be to take a data approach to lines so that
students understand what the real meaning is of slope (a rate of change) and
of y-intercept.  Units 1 & 2 of the Investigating Change by Mary Barnes
gives a wonderful approach to what I am talking about - present algebra in a
context.  Dale Seymoour Pub. also has a book called Exploring Linear
Relations by Gail Burrill and Patrick Hopfensperger that does a great job of
explanation. Pick up ALgebra I experiments. The relationships that exist
between any two phenomena is explained using algebra! I do the bouncing ball
experiment with my algebra kids and they get involved very much. Students
finally ask if they are going to find algebra in everything?  The answer is
"YES!"  If you need more ideas, please write
back!

 -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/