From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Aug 17, 2006 at 09:05:31
Subject: Re: Math Corrections?

Hi, JS -- I'll throw in one more technique that I've used with 5th and 6th graders, typically after a test. It works best if you have an established system of quickly arranging partnerships and a culture of cooperative collaboration. Kids work in pairs for about 10-15 min. Their task is to choose one problem that A missed but B got correct, and one that B missed but A got correct. The person who solved it correctly teaches the one who missed it. After each has a turn at teacher and learner, they choose a problem that both missed and put their brains together to work it out. You can vary the time and number of problems you want them to work out, depending on time available and type of assignment. All the while the teacher is circulating, asking probing questions and keeping them on task. I sometimes asked several students to report to the class afterwards on problems they'd corrected and that I thought others would benefit from hearing about or might have other ideas to add. The important thing is to put the responsibility on their shoulders. They're reviewing only problems that they need to work on. All students are engaged all the time, either teaching or learning or solving. They are developing their math language, and the process of talking math helps them clarify their own ideas. -Claire, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/