From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 16, 2006 at 07:35:44
Subject: Re: math movement

>I might have asked this awhile back, but really never heard from anyone,
>so I will throw an extra question at you.  First one is math movement.
>What are some movement things I can do so my kids can get up and stretch
>and move a bit for a short break?  I know teachers try and use movement
>but are they effective?  Just some ideas for me if you have any?  Also,
>projects or extra things I could do with my basic skills math classes.
>That is what I teach so just looking for something extra and possibly fun
>to do with them besides the curriculum.
>Thanks
>Please forward this if you are unable to provide some good ideas to
>people who maybe would.

Dear Cory,
     Cynthia gave you some good ideas.   It is really important to break up
the lesson with a variety of activities.  I know i can't often sit still
and stand attending for a full block of time unless I am really engaged in
what I am doing...   and I try to remember that my students are usually
even less able to.

One thing I try to do is give my students time to put a little rhythm into
what we are doing.  They are usually tapping on desks anyway, and if I can
channel that into something that will help them make connections or
remember what we are doing, so much the better.  For example, yesterday we
were trying to make the connection between exponents and the number of
times the base was multiplied together.  They would tell me the correct
answers verbally, but when I reversed the problem, or gave it to them in a
different context, they were stymied.  So we folded paper, and then clapped
out the number of 2's for each fold:  one fold = 2 sections (2, one clap),
2 folds  = 4 sections (2 x 2, two claps),  3 folds = 8 sections (2 x 2 x 2,
three claps),  etc.

By getting up and clapping it out, they realized they were clapping
the exponent each time.

Another thing we did was stand up and try to contort our bodies and limbs
into a square root symbol...

The movements don't need to be long and involved.  Just something that will
give them a chance to stretch and to see it from a different perspective.

I hope this helps,

 -Gail, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®