Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #17575

Doubling single digit numbers

View entire discussion

From: Candace <casmothers@charter.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Sep 13, 2006 at 10:29:21
Subject: Doubling single digit numbers

Why do elementary students easily remember the doubled numbers (2+2=4 to
9+9=18) when they may have trouble with learning and remembering the
other addition facts?

I have searched the internet, books, white papers, etc., but have
found no solid reason or research as to how or why young children
seem to learn the doubling of single digit numbers almost
intuitively.

I am working on a system of learning techniques for basic addition
facts to help children not only learn but remember these facts. I
have techniques for learning/recalling the other facts but the
doubling seems to be an anomaly or is simply assumed. I was hoping
you might be able to shed some light on this for me.

I sent the above information to the mathforum and Doctor Free sent the
following reply.

Hello Candice,

I'm not aware of any research, but you might consider asking about
this at our Teacher2Teacher site,

  http://mathforum.org/t2t/

where they might know more about that.

Having said that, I might be able to shed some light on it.

In my minds eye I can SEE two THINGS (even if they are NUMBERS).
I handle pairs of things every day - two hands, feet, legs, eyes.
So my brain is skilled at it!

If I loved horses, or cats, dogs, rabbits, I might be good at
quadrupling.  We are good at what INTERESTS us!

Good luck with your efforts to interesting children in ways of
seeing things.

- Doctor Free, The Math Forum

If anyone knows of documented research or data about this, I would love
to hear from you. Thanks. Candace

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®