Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #17637

Typing software

View entire discussion

From: Carla Flaherty
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Sep 22, 2006 at 19:10:59
Subject: Typing software

I am very interested in finding software that will allow math work (from
grades 4 through 12) to be typed on the computer. The software should NOT
assist with solving, only with being able to type expressions, equations,
tables, simple graphs (hand-drawn) and so on. We need this for students
with fine motor difficulties!

I envision a graphics/notepad-sort of thing, with an optional grid,
layered point and click symbol menu, graphics capability (erase, move,
and so on), ability to draw lines (with snap, to make it more friendly)
and zoom to make the current work larger and therefore easier to navigate
physically (larger mouse movements.)  Software should NOT do any
calculation, but should be friendly enough to learn comfortably at an
early age and progress through high school.

I know this is not a simple programming task, but it MUST already exist
somewhere. We really need this to help students whose math aptitude is
good, but who are simply choked by their inability to write neatly, or in
columns, and who focus SO HARD on these simple tasks that they don't have
the thinking capacity left to learn the math concepts.

Is anyone aware of such a product which doesn't attempt to SOLVE the
equations for the student?  OR a product which does solve, but could be
modified to use the typing capability only?  Thank you.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/