From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 22, 2006 at 09:09:40
Subject: Re: Graphing Calulator usage

Hi Megan,

I know that there has been a lot of discussion about this. I thought perhaps
I could find some sites for you on the Internet that archived those discussions.
This is what I've found so far:

Education World: Curriculum: Educators Battle Over Calculator Use: Both
Sides Claim Casualties
http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/curr072.shtml

College Board (their policy of use on tests)
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/psat/about/calculator.html
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/testday/calc.html
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/exday_cal.html

T2T Archive: Calculator Use
http://mathforum.org/t2t/thread.taco?thread=6284

NCTM: Calculator Use in the News--Lee Stiff Responds to WSJ
http://www.nctm.org/news/ext_articles/2000-12calculator.htm

Groping and Hoping for a Consensus on Calculator Use
http://www.nctm.org/dialogues/1999-05.pdf  [PDF]

I hope these resources are helpful.

>I am a high school math teacher and I struggle with determining the
>amount of calculator use that is appropriate/necessary in a classroom.  I
>am looking for opinions and articles with varied views to help me provide
>information to my department chair in an upcoming presentation.  Thank
>you in advance.

 -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum. Please read more about
this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question