Q&A #17792

Graphing Calulator usage

View entire discussion

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 22, 2006 at 09:09:40
Subject: Re: Graphing Calulator usage

Hi Megan, I know that there has been a lot of discussion about this. I thought perhaps I could find some sites for you on the Internet that archived those discussions. This is what I've found so far: Education World: Curriculum: Educators Battle Over Calculator Use: Both Sides Claim Casualties http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/curr072.shtml College Board (their policy of use on tests) http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/psat/about/calculator.html http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/testday/calc.html http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/exday_cal.html T2T Archive: Calculator Use http://mathforum.org/t2t/thread.taco?thread=6284 NCTM: Calculator Use in the News--Lee Stiff Responds to WSJ http://www.nctm.org/news/ext_articles/2000-12calculator.htm Groping and Hoping for a Consensus on Calculator Use http://www.nctm.org/dialogues/1999-05.pdf [PDF] I hope these resources are helpful. >I am a high school math teacher and I struggle with determining the >amount of calculator use that is appropriate/necessary in a classroom. I >am looking for opinions and articles with varied views to help me provide >information to my department chair in an upcoming presentation. Thank >you in advance. -Suzanne A., for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/ It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum. Please read more about this possibility: http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®