From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 06, 2007 at 17:08:55
Subject: Re: Multicultural Education

Hi, Allison -- Thanks for writing to T2T. Maybe the opener could be something like, "All cultures do math!" There is a wonderful book by Claudia Zaslavsky -- Math Games and Activities from Around the World. There is also a second volume -- More Math Games ... Kids love games, and they are a wonderful window into a culture. Do you teach in a self-contained classroom, or maybe team with a social studies teacher? It would be interesting to make some connections between the games and the culture, how they reflect the culture, the materials used, the math ideas. The book is widely available. The materials are easily gathered. You can read about Claudia at http://www.math.binghamton.edu/zaslav/cz.html Kids are often fascinated by different number systems. They're almost like codes. Mayan and Egyptian might make good examples. There are lessons to be learned with them that help children understand and appreciate our own number system. I hope this is helpful. -Claire, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/